1. Introduce us to the chef and the type of food you serve at your food truck.
Grannies is owned and operated by myself, my mother (MeMa), and my sister Paige. Our recipes date back a century to our great great grandmother Grannie Harrell. So I guess one could say the original chef was our Grannie Harrell. Her recipes have been handed down through the generations to my sister and I. Our cousin Robert also prepares our dishes. We pride ourselves on serving Comfort Food Southern Style.
2. Can you tell us about your cooking background?
I started cooking when I was just 6 years old. I would pull up a step stool beside my great grandmother, Grannie Mills. She would let me help her cook and bake.
3. Share with us what inspires you.
The pride I feel in sharing our families’ dishes with our customers.
4. What is one dish of yours diners shouldn’t miss?
I guess that’s a tossup between our hand battered fries and our chicken tenders. Everything is good on Grannies menu.
5. What’s your favorite place to eat in Jacksonville and why?
Grannies Chicken of course. Because I grew up cooking and eating this type of food.
6. Do you offer any healthier options or should we just say, ” to heck with it” and get our fat kid on?
Yes, we serve soups and chicken salad.
7. At a food truck rally diners have plenty of options why should they choose Grannie’s chicken?
Grannies Chicken is fresh and prepared daily. Our chicken is never frozen. Also our hand battered fries are cut daily and battered just like our chicken. They are out of this world.
8. Do you have regular locations our readers can find you at?
Monday’s and Tuesday’s we serve at the corner of Gate Parkway and Deerwood Park Blvd. We are across from the Sheraton and the Jacksonville Public Library SE Branch from 11am to 2:30pm. Wednesday’s we are located across from the new court house at 218 N Broad St from 11am to 2:30pm. Thursday’s we serve at the Manheim Auto Auction at 10817 New Kings Rd 32219 from 11am to 2:30pm. Friday-Sunday we are usually at festivals. I post our schedule every Sunday evening on our FB page. I also post our location daily on FB and Twitter.
9. Anything else our readers should know?
Grannies is so proud of our recipes we guarantee you will not be disappointed.